Monday, March 19, 2012

Tuesday: Day 24


Luke 13:20b: And again he said, “To what should I compare the kingdom of God?”

             We’re on Day 24 of this transformative personal journey through Lent. We’re ending our fourth week together. There are fewer days ahead of us on this journey than the days that lie behind.


            What has this journey meant to you so far? Has it begun to be transformative in the way you’re starting to ask yourself empowering questions in order to receive empowered answers? If you’ve spent some time on the Questions to Ponder each day I know it’s been a personal journey. But has it been a transformative journey?


          I love the words of the apostle Paul in Romans 12:2: Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God—what is good and acceptable and perfect. That’s such an awesome verse! Being transformed by the renewing of our minds. Discerning the will of God. Doing what is good and acceptable and perfect. That’s discipleship. That’s transformation.      


          For many years before moving out to Oregon I used to charter sailboats with different groups of family or friends on the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior. And I would charter sailboats between 30 and 38 feet and one of the many options I’d choose when I’d charter the boat was one with an autopilot. Because with an autopilot, when the wind was steady, and when the coast was clear, you could switch on the autopilot, and the boat would sail itself. The wheel would go back and forth, but it would keep on track, and if you wanted to make a change in course to avoid an upcoming boat, you could, but when you let go of the wheel, it would return to the course that had been set. You could change the course for quite a while, but whenever you let go, it would return to the autopilot.


          When Paul talks about being transformed by the renewing of our minds, he’s talking about the autopilot of our lives.


          Do this with me for just a moment: Complete this sentence in your mind: With my time, it’s just like me to be… Or with my family, it’s just like me to be… Or with my money, it's just like me to be....

          That’s your autopilot. It’s what you automatically think. And oftentimes, we can change behavior or actions for a brief time, but if we don’t change the autopilot of the way we think, then we go right back to our previous behavior, and we fall back into the same traps.



            But Paul says be transformed. If it’s just like you to focus on success, then be transformed to focus on significance. If it’s just like you to focus on yourself, then be transformed to focus on others. If it’s just like you to focus on what you can get, rather than what you can give, then be transformed to focus on giving and on generosity. The Apostle Paul says be transformed by the renewing of your mind, which is a redirection of your autopilot.

         Jesus asked, “To what should I compare the kingdom of God?” And he compares it to yeast, which eventually leavens and transforms the entire loaf. It starts small. But yeast transforms the flour. And the result is a fresh creation of new bread.

          A transformative personal journey through Lent. The questions we ask ourselves become the leaven that can change our lives. Change your questions and change (and transform!) your life.
Questions to Ponder:
  • · What is it just like you to be? What guides the autopilot of your life?
  • · Are there new directions where you’d like to be led? Are you fully satisfied with the direction of your life? If you’re not fully satisfied, what would it take to put you on a new course?
Prayer for Today: Transforming God, take me, mold me, use me, fill me; I give my life to the potter’s hand. Call me, guide me, lead me, walk beside me. I give my life to the potter’s hand. In His name. Amen.
 
 
 
Listen to this awesome video of an old song: Potter's Hand. The potter augments the message of the song, and I hope it will be a blessing to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment