Sunday, April 1, 2012

Monday: Day 35


Luke 24:38: He said to them, “Why are you frightened, and why do doubts arise in your hearts?”
 
 
 
 
 
            I doubt it!
 
 
 
 
 
            I used to hate hearing those words! It implied that what I was saying wasn’t true and that I wasn’t to be believed. It always hurt when someone said that to me.
 
 
 
 
            Perhaps it hurt Jesus, too, when doubts rose in the hearts of the disciples. They doubted him. And they didn’t know if he was to be believed.
 
 
 
 
            In some ways, we all have doubts. Most of us have a tendency to second-guess ourselves and think, “Did I do the right thing? Did I make the right choice?” Most of us doubt the future, and so we worry. We doubt other people, and we call it suspicion. We doubt ourselves, and we consider ourselves inferior. Some people doubt God, and we call it unbelief. And there are even times when we doubt our beliefs, and we believe our doubts.
 
 
 
 
 
            Jesus had just opened the eyes of the disciples as he broke bread with them. They recognized him and were overjoyed! They realized that their hearts burned within them while they were walking with Jesus on the road to Emmaus, and they were so excited that they went and told the Eleven ( the Twelve, minus Judas) that “The Lord has risen indeed!”
 
 
 
 
 
            It was at that point that Jesus asked them, “Why do doubts arise in your hearts?” He had been with them all along the way, he had gone through what was necessary to fulfill God’s plan and purpose for his life, and they still doubted. They weren’t sure what to believe.
 
 
 
 
 
 
            In some ways, we all have doubts, as I just said. And perhaps the best way to overcome some of our doubts is to start with the faith you already have. Sometimes people simply need the courage to go ahead with their lives of faith despite fears that we have. Some people think their faith is frail or weak.
 
 
 
 
 
            But remember the mustard seed? Don’t underestimate the power of a mustard seed of faith. No matter how weak or frail you think your faith is, it is enough. It is enough to get you through. You don’t need faith the size of a mountain to move a mustard seed. You need faith the size of a mustard seed to move a mountain.  
 
 
 
 
 
            Jesus is walking with you on your road to Emmaus. Don’t doubt it for a minute.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
            Questions to Ponder:
 
  • · What are some doubts you have about your faith? How would you complete the sentence, “I doubt that…..”
  •  · Do you think that doubts can actually drive us to faith, rather than away from faith? Why or why not? What role does doubt play in your deepening life of discipleship?
  
 
 
 
Prayer for Today: Lord Jesus, I want to believe. Help me with my unbelief. Give me your renewing Spirit, and help me know you and trust you. Help me see you and experience your presence. This I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.
 
Open The Eyes of my Heart.....I want to see You.
Yep; that's what it's all about.
 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Here is another song, fitting of today, for anyone interested in another song. It's from one of my favorite groups, "Lost and Found"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dapnrvHcQ90

    ReplyDelete